Friday, October 11, 2013

siena story.









Siena is quite possibly one of my favorite spots in Italy.  Not only is it beautiful and picturesque, but it also is incredibly community-oriented.  The city is divided up into different zones, which all connect to the piazza in the center.  The zones, or contrade, mark the different teams that compete in the palio, or horse races.  Each contrada is like one large family; members are baptized into them and work together to host celebrations and events.  During my visit, the most recent district to win the palio was celebrating the victory.  Lively music filled the air as people walked from street to street, stopping to chat with friends or get something to eat from one of the many food stands in the area.  It was lovely scene in the midst of a gorgeous town.  I definitely plan on returning.

xoxo

Sabrina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you all for your lovely messages. Follow me if you like my posts!